GANEIDA'S KNOT.

Go mbeannai Dia duit.

About Me

My photo
Quaker by conviction, mother by default, Celticst through love, Christ follower because I once was lost but now am found...

Monday, December 7, 2009

Tuesday's Trivia.

"There was a joke at that time (early 1950s): Raffles Institution rules Singapore; ACS owns Singapore." Dr TAN Cheng Lim


We are nearly there. The bag is out ~ just one. I believe in travelling lightly. The clear toiletry bag holds little vials of moisturiser, shampoo & conditioner. The shoes are in plastic bags. There are neat piles of socks & undies, shirts & pants & a little flutter in the tummy. This time next week...

So here are some more fun facts about Singapore. I'm allowed. This is my blog & I'm just a wee bit nervous ~ which is understandable if you have ever travelled with Ditz anywhere. So meet vanda Miss Joaquim, discovered by Agnes Joaquim in 1893 & adopted as Singapore's national flower. What an absolutely stunning orchid!


Singapore consists of one main island & 63!!! other tiny islands. It is one of the 20 smallest countries in the world. As an islander myself I have some basis for comparison. Singapore is to America as my island is to Australia.


The Bukit Timah Nature Reserve contains more species of trees than the entire North American continent! And Singapore is one of only 2 cities in the world with a tropical rainforest. The other is Rio de Janerio.
Jeanne, at A Peaceful Day, has suggested a must do is a Singapore Sling at the Raffles Long Bar ~ & I might just do that. A Singapore Sling consists of gin, cointreau, cherry brandy, Dom Benedictine, pineapple juice, Grenadine, Angostura, bitters & limes. It was first served in 1915. I might need one before we're done!
Then there is the Rafflesia ~ the world's largest, the world's stinkiest, parasitic flower, discovered by Sir Stamford Raffles' team in Indonesia but common throughout South east Asia. This is one weird plant. Apart from a stink reminiscent of rotting meat the raffelsia is peculiar in that it defies traditional understanding of plant life forms by not producing chlorophyll & therefore not able to photosynthesise. The flowers are huge ~ up to 3' in diameter. When you smell this bad I guess you have to have something going for you.


Tuesday & counting down; 5 more sleeps. Do NOT mention the word Christmas!


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ganeida,
My butterflies would have turned into HUGE moths by now! :P

Have a good week,
Blessings,
Jillian

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Yay! Yay! Yay!

It isn't my trip, but I cah hardly *wait!*

MamaOlive said...

Well, not to use *that* word, but I got your card a couple of days ago, despite a mangling of the address.

Can you keep the butterfllies from turning into a migrain? I sure hope so!
I also hope you enjoy yourself thouroughly and take notes for interesting blogs when you get back. :-)

MamaOlive said...

what happened to my spell checker???

Jeanne said...

I've seen a Raffelsia in flower!

Merry Unmentionable!

Constance said...

I have been a little overwhelmed to be commenting but I have managed a visit here and there. It sounds like you have quite the adventure coming upand I look forward to hearing all about it and seeing pictures! You've been on my heart this week as I have been remembering my brother and just wanted to pop in and send you a hug!
Love, Connie