GANEIDA'S KNOT.

Go mbeannai Dia duit.

About Me

My photo
Quaker by conviction, mother by default, Celticst through love, Christ follower because I once was lost but now am found...

Friday, December 11, 2009

This too shall pass.

"My friend told me later he got the chicken pox. I told him I caught politics and never got over it." Jack Johnson

Yes, it is true; Ditz has the pox. I think she is too sick to care about Singapore. She has spots in her mouth, her ears, on her tonsils, on the soles of her feet & her lips. She is swollen & blistered & itching like billy~ho.

I am counting our blessings:

One: we missed dress rehearsal so are unlikely to have infected anyone else in the choir.

Two: This happened before we flew out. Can you imagine if Ditz had become spotty in Singapore?!!!!

Three: Insurance will reimburse us for most of our expenses so we can put the money aside for next time. Next time may be Europe ~ much better! ☺ Siano; we need to talk.

I am trying to get over the fact I am now left to try & do all my neglected Christmas shopping [because I was going to get everyone something from Singapore, wasn't I] in the 2 weeks left to me while I have a very sick little girl on my hands who cannot leave the house.

We want pictures. Ditz is covered in so much calamine lotion she looks like a geisha but there is no way Ditz is letting anyone with a camera near her!!!!

Still, I'm pretty sure Ditz is now immune for life. Theo did the pox 3 times. Every time I cleared one of the other 3 up Theo got it again. Unbelievable! I was going nutty dealing with spotty kids. We were dealing with chicken pox for two months. Some mothers do have 'em.

14 comments:

kimba said...

Commiserations and since we won't probably see you before Christmas. Seasons Greetings. How long is the infectious period? Will she be over it by New Year.

Ganeida said...

Kimba:She's out till Christmas & to take things very quietly. That's not being too difficult just now. I might see you before Chrissy. *I'm* not contagious! lol

loving, laughing and learning said...

if i can pick up any pressies for you in autralia let me know. looks like im over there mon and tues even though kindy has finished, so could grab anything you need.

Richele McFarlin said...

Awww...I am so sorry this happened to your daughter! Chicken Pox are terrible. I had a bad case as a kid. I hope she feels better soon.

Ganeida said...

Mrs Bean: My spending money is in Singapore dollars!!!! How sad is that? lol We should take Lid's car & go together but I may not be able to leave Ditz. She is so miserable, poor kid. I've never seen anyone with such a terrible case. Can't say Ditz doesn't give 100% to everything she does!

Thanks, Richele. We are b;essed. It could have been so much worse & God has a purpose...

MamaOlive said...

Oh, your poor Ditz! Isn't that just how things seem to always work out? As for the pox, our crew got over it rather quickly, but I knew a boy who had it at age 17, and he was down for nearly a month! Hopefully Ditz will burn through it in a rush like she does everything else. :-)
You already know all the comforting things like God's will be done, look on the bright side, etc, so no point in typing it all out... oops, must be bedtime over here.

Molytail said...

Ack!!!

I was *so* hoping it was gonna turn out to just be fever hives.

Dang. Please tell the poor kid that I know how miserable she feels (I was 13 - the older you are, the worse they come for the most part) and that Cindy and I are wishing her better over here. Mine were HORRID like it sounds that hers are - spots in every. possible. place. I remember it like it was yesterday.

Calamine - and baking soda in the bath, I remember doing that. And wanting to slap anyone who said "don't scratch". ;-)

What a disappointment for you all though.. she might be too sick to care right now, but still. Drat.

Rose said...

Oh, I do hope she feels better soon. Poor girl. I had the chicken pox when I was 12 years old and it was pretty rough.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ganeida,
Oh, poor Ditz - if the calamine lotion doesn't seem to be doing the trick, put some bicarbonate of soda into a coolish bath, and just let her sit in it.

Our children were absolutely covered with chicken pox, and the only relief that we could give them was a bicarb soda bath. :)

Please give her my heartfelt condolences, as I know how much she was looking forward to Singapore.

Blessings,
Jillian

seekingmyLord said...

Vinegar is also used to relief the itchiness and honey is said to work quite well on the pox and it is very healing on the skin, but messy of course. If she has them on her tonsils, she could also have them in the larynx, so smoothing her throat with honey tea might be helpful. If you are interested in homeopathic remedies: Rhus Tox and Sulphur.

I have other crazier remedies. For one, soaking in a hydrogen peroxide bath mixture will bring up the oxygen levels in the blood as well as treat the skin. Viruses weaken with higher blood oxygen levels and the immune system gets an upper hand on the illness much quicker.

Love to you!

Jeanne said...

I can't belive I missed this news. So disappointed for you both.

Hope Ditz starts to feel better very soon.

Much love...

Ganeida said...

Thank you for all your kind thoughts & prayers everyone. Ditz has reached the weepy stage with the pain & not sleeping but she has gone to bed all calamined up. Unfortunately the humidity here is at 100% & threatening rain. I have been running ice over the worst of her spots but she is still running a temp so if we don't see some improvement tomorrow it is back to the doctor on Monday.

Diane Shiffer said...

Awww... poor baby:( And to have the pox in the hot weather is the worst time of all... Praying for her relief (and for your patience my dear friend♥)

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Getting your money back rocks!!! *whew* Most trips don't do that, you know. Hope Ditz gets better soon!