GANEIDA'S KNOT.

Go mbeannai Dia duit.

About Me

My photo
Quaker by conviction, mother by default, Celticst through love, Christ follower because I once was lost but now am found...

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Hen's Day Out.

Girls are like phones. We love to be held, talked too but if you press the wrong button you'll be disconnected! I am battling a bit of a wog, probably thanks to Liddy who likes to share, but nothing irks me more than letting a little thing like a cold spoil my fun ~ so we went into Brisbane as planned; just Siano & I. Ditz opted to stay at home & this was probably a good thing. One way & another we didn't leave as early as we'd hoped so had a slight change of plans & opted for Siano's old stomping grounds out Toowong way.


As anything to do with Brisbane necessitates negotiating a rat's maze of unmarked streets I venture into the city only when I have no other choice. I do not like cities. I dislike cities so much I opt to live on an island but as Siano pointed out Brisbane has pockets I would like very much indeed given the opportunity to investigate them though these areas tend to encompass the sort of environment I can have without the city drawbacks. Being driven round by someone who actually knows what they're doing & has some sort of internal refedex regarding the relationships of suburbs to each other certainly helps. Old helps too. Old & a little tatty around the edges. Old & green. Which is one reason we began out Mt~Cootha way driving into the grounds of Stuartholme College, which sits on top of a hill & backs onto the botanical gardens. It was founded in 1920 by religious of The Sacred Heart with just 5 students & is a rather imposing edifice. Fantastic views from the grounds of Brisbane.

However having got so far we were absolutely ravenous & in desperate need of sustenance so Siano dragged me off to the perfect place to eat: MaryRyan's fine books & coffee. The coffee & eats is out the back. We chose the terraced verandahs which was just extraordinarily pleasant, thumbing through the catalogue discussing books while consuming salad & Italian dressing before heading back inside to sample the books. If I were a coffee table book sort this might have beguiled me. I holidayed quite a bit on the Pittwater as a child as my folks were *boaties* & I remember the old Pittwater, which was isolated & stunningly beautiful & a little quirky. However with limited money one is forced to choose wisely. Very wisely. And coffee table books are not something to waste money on. This & this I will order through the library. Probably not worth my money but at least worth a cursory look. I see Rude People wasn't available to have a look at but probably worth a library order too. I spotted something for Ditz too. Reminded me of the Lemony Snickett books & at some point I think we will round this one up & read it. Yes, I came away with something but I went for an author I know is excellent value for money & whose books have never disappointed: Tracy Chevallier's latest offering Remarkable Creatures. I adored Girl with a Pearl Ear~ring, The Lady & the Unicorn & Virgin Blue. Others I have not found so intrinsically interesting but still very readable & I have my eye on a long, long year of rehearsals with Ditz.And then this sign!!!! I sooo wish I had found this little shop when I was hunting for that little black dress for Ditz. Unfortunately the window was full of lovely things to be worn under the little black dress for optimum effect & not terribly suitable for a family oriented blog.
Bardon, where all these tantalising things reside, meanders up & down & along one of the Brisbane ridges. An older suburb that appears to be getting something of a facelift ~ a least in places. Gorgeous old Queenslanders built high & ornamented. Every time I begin to drool I remind myself of the cost in time & money just for upkeep ~ but they are sooo lovely!
This one sat on the edge of a roadside cliff & must have had spectacular 360 degree views. Bougainvillea all along the fence line which would be amazing in full bloom but just nasty, spikey, thorny & rampant otherwise. Not sure I'm a fan of Bougainvillea.
Paddling up & down the vertical streets to look at a row of workers cottages that probably date to around the 1920's. Workers could have trammed into the city proper at the time. We speculated which factories : the brewery [XXXX], Arnotts [biscuits] or maybe the docks. Most were 2 bedroom dwellings & only single walled as evidenced by the exposed external struts. Siano lived in one of them for a time.Just opposite was a tiny patch of green space with the most enormous multi~trunked ficus & a handy seat.
We sat & surveyed the view of Brisbane CBD. Yeah, I know. The contrast is rather ironic. Eventually we hoyed ourselves back towards the car but not before stopping at Monty's. Monty's, however, deserves a post all to itself.



































4 comments:

The HoJo's said...

Sounds fab! think of me as I trudge up to Perth to drop the big 2 off at the airport for 6am!!!!! they fly off to the other side of the country without me for 12 days..... I think I'll cope ;o)

xc

Anonymous said...

Hi Ganeida,
To see that Bougainvillea in full flower would be fantastic - I love Bougainvilleas, but they won't grow here - too much frost and too hot in summer, but I can look at other peoples Bougainvilleas just 16 kilometres away where the climate is just that little bit kinder. ☺

Have a wonderful and blessed 2010, my friend.

Love and blessings,
Jillian xx

seekingmyLord said...

Interesting architecture and sights, a book store and chocolate all in one day! If an hour massage with a lovely scented oil had been added....

Ganeida said...

The Hojos: lucky you! ☺ I have a feeling Perth is a little more user friendly...

Jillian:Yes, gorgeous in flower but rather a rampant growner & I do *not* like the spikes! They can do a lot of damage.

Seeking: a massage would have been perfect.☺ The archetecture is fairly typical of a certain period & I am very fond of the look. Deep, deep verandahs, often as much as 12' wide which really does a good job of keeping rooms cool. The oldest houses don't have an internal & external wall so you can see the *bones* of the building on the external wall. Not the best insulation!