GANEIDA'S KNOT.

Go mbeannai Dia duit.

About Me

My photo
Quaker by conviction, mother by default, Celticst through love, Christ follower because I once was lost but now am found...

Monday, September 28, 2009

Tuesday's Trivia.

"There are many ways to skin a cat, and to skin Singapore, there are also many ways." Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad

Singapore is on ~ for both Ditz & I. There are only 8 of the junior choir going so Dearest felt Ditz really couldn't go on her own. The seniors are all lovely, lovely people but...

And menopause has not been kind to me. There are more black holes swiss cheesed through my mind than in all of creation. I don't remember everything being so stressful when I was twenty but my stress levels are seriously through the roof. The timetabling for money has moved forward. This is disastrous for us. Dearest worked everything out on the original time~line & we were smacky~do on track. That alone is enough to have me banging my head in frustration & hyperventilating.

I have so much paperwork to get through today I may just crawl under a harrow & let the world pass me by. Instead I am salvaging my stress with Singapore trivia. I just love the Internet, don't you!?

Singapore, from singapura, meaning Lion city. Now that's seriously cool. It was known as Temasek in Medieval times, renamed Syonan [Light of the South] briefly while under Japanese occupation & could just as easily have been named Tiger island because tigers could still be found there as late as the 1920s. Lions, as we all know, are only found in Africa.

The total land mass is 692.7 sq miles. That's bigger than us at any rate ~ not Australia, the island, our little little island in Quandamooka.

Singapore is now a Chinese dominated country but the original inhabitants were Malay. They are now only the second largest population.

The Brits surrendered Singapore to the Japanese [who were out of ammunition btw] because they were worried that Singapore's water supply would be cut off. Water, then, as now, is piped over from Malay. Now that's something of a worry.

Singapore has won just one Olympic medal ~ silver for, of all things, weightlifting! 1964. The first year Singapore participated in the games.

Singapore is notoriously over~regulated. There are over 40,000 offences for which you can be fined, though I believe medicated gum like nicorettes can now be bought from a Chemist if you produce id!

If you've been to Singapore what is your one *must see*. Ditz will be in rehearsal for most of our time there but has one 1/2 day free & I would love that time to be something truly memorable for her.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ganeida,
How long do you have before you go to Singapore? It sounds as if all of your days will be spent organising. :P
Blessings,
Jillian
<><

Ganeida said...

You've got it pegged Jillian. It may be Ditz looking after me not the other way round by the time we get on that plane!

Britwife said...

I am so excited for you! That is great that you will get the opportunity to go with Ditz -it's something that BOTH of you will remember forever!
I need to apologise - I posted a joke about menopause today on my blog. That was BEFORE I read your post tonight. Sorry if I offended! :)

Ganeida said...

Not offended, love, but running like a headless chook & feeling nearly as silly as one. ☺

Allison said...

I believe chewing gum is banned, unless it has some therapautic value (like nicorette). Interesting place!