GANEIDA'S KNOT.

Go mbeannai Dia duit.

About Me

My photo
Quaker by conviction, mother by default, Celticst through love, Christ follower because I once was lost but now am found...

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

I ♥ my doona.

Whoever invented teenagers, invented the Doona. Marian McGuiness.

I love my doona. These have to be the best invention ever for a busy mother with multiple children.

Firstly they do away with that annoying top sheet that has to be tucked in & which invariably gets kicked out during the night & needs to be tucked in again in the morning.

Secondly they are lightweight but warm, completely machine washable & no harder to launder [& usually considerably easier] than a standard blanket.

Thirdly, & this was the clincher for me, even a very small child can make their bed when all they have to do is wrest a doona into some sort of order.

Quilts come with eiderdown & can be a right royal pain in the whatsit to launder if you have a sick child but the modern doona, filled with polyester, is almost undestroyable. We have a variety of throws for those nippy winter nights when you want to drape something across your legs but my kids will invariably lug their doona out & snuggle under it. I know they're good. Given a choice between a rug & a doona Issi always chooses the doona!

So when Pillow Talk dropped the price of their single doonas down to just $25~ I took full advantage of it. Spare doonas are a must & these fold up into a large pillow & can be stored like that in their own pillow case.

For the first years of our marriage Dearest & I attempted to share a doona. As we both tend to wrap ourselves in our bedding we invariably spent the night fighting over the doona. Now our bed has two single doonas on it & we both get a good night's sleep. Well, I get a good night's sleep. Dearest invariably has a squabble with the cat who thinks the second doona is his.

6 comments:

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

I love these things too, Ganeida! Like the cover! When I was a girl they were just solid boring ones.

The HoJo's said...

see I thought doona was a slang for duvet, which is what we call them in the UK, found out the hard way I was mistaken :o)

Anonymous said...

What - you haven't bought a third doona for Issi yet? Shame on you!

Siano

Diane Shiffer said...

ummm... doona = comforter?

MamaOlive said...

Yeah, I think that's what we'd call a comforter. I still want my top sheet, though. Just please don't tuck it in. And I've never heard of a quilt filled with down. In the old days, quilts were filled with worn out quilts. :-) Nowadays it's cotton or pollyester "fiber-fill."
When will we come up with a universal language??

Ganeida said...

Mamo O, my love, in Europe quilts were filled with eiderdown but as you say the States used old quilts & things. It takes a lot of duck feathers to fill a quilt! ☺

Persuaded: doonas can be one of those multi~item words:quilt/dppna/duvet/comforter ~ only not when you go shopping! lol As the Hojos found out. :P

MrsC: Ours are solid colours in fairly bright colours. Look good with the timber walls. I had made some lovely crazy quilt throws but I think they went camping...

Siano: the cat has his own ~ he prefers to fight Dearest for his! ☺