GANEIDA'S KNOT.

Go mbeannai Dia duit.

About Me

My photo
Quaker by conviction, mother by default, Celticst through love, Christ follower because I once was lost but now am found...

Monday, May 18, 2009

Tuesday's Trivia.

Man - despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, and his many accomplishments - owes his existence to a six inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains. Author Unknown

Iteru ~ the Great River, the oldest name for the Nile, longest river in the world travelling through 1/10th of Africa for 4 160 miles ~ give or take the odd mile or two, depending on the tides I guess or which part of the delta you're measuring from.

That Egypt survived, & even thrived, is completely due to the Nile, which has it's source in Ethiopia. And while it was at it the Nile produced Nile crocs that have brains & hearts more advanced than those of other living reptiles though frankly, I can do without crocs of any description...

And yet it seems there is a huge underground river flowing beneath the Nile with 6 times more water than the river above. Why not? There's at least a dozen rivers flowing beneath London, like the Fleet, most tributaries of the Thames. Pub trivia contestants go down on this one all the time. I mean, how many other London rivers can you name? I didn't say I could name them; I just know they're there, the remains of tributaries diverted into canals & culverts, forced underground to flow into the Thames under the very streets bearing their names: the Fleet, the Falcon, Stamford...

Well, I did mention the word *trivia*.

6 comments:

seekingmyLord said...

I am just loving the quote!!!! It kind of puts things in an interesting perspective, doesn't it?

Of course, your trivia is always delightful as well.

Mrs. C said...

Too true! Well... that and God and stuff. :]

Persuaded said...

my goodness, i never knew that about underground rivers! i did know most of the other info about the nile however... noah was fascinated with all things egyptian for about 3 years, so he keeps me well informed.

and speaking of being well informed, i feel i should inform you that today is monday not *tuesday*

*DUCKING!* hehehe

Sandra said...

Always interesting. I am tired and I haven't been online. I will need to come back in the AM when I am fresh. It looks like I have missed some things!

Constance said...

I for one truly appreciate trivia! In our family I have been crowned,
"The Queen of Useless Trivia".
I think the quest for knowledge keeps our brains young!

I enjoyed your post on camping. You know that we are a family of campers and our kids grew up spending time under the tent flaps! My oldest Jennifer, is definitely NOT a camper, she's kind of prissy and high maintanence. Still, I love her to pieces! Different strokes for different folks. The other 3, now that's a different story! I love having a campfire and the memories you make sitting around it! When growing up, I was a Girl Scout Leader for my daughter Laura. We did Scouts for 7 years. Our last year, we were just a Mother-Daughter Troop because the other 6 girls had developed other interests or had moved away. She and I went on a campout and had a roaring fire. The next thing we knew, we had a bunch of people asking us if they could enjoy our fire. I don't think any of those Leaders even knew how to make a fire! Shame, shame.

Hugs today,
Connie

Allison said...

I keep saying that I need to go visit the pyramids while they're still standing. It is just utterly fascinating that no one has quite figured out how the Egyptians built them!