GANEIDA'S KNOT.

Go mbeannai Dia duit.

About Me

My photo
Quaker by conviction, mother by default, Celticst through love, Christ follower because I once was lost but now am found...

Monday, May 18, 2009

Tuesday's Trivia.

Man - despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, and his many accomplishments - owes his existence to a six inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains. Author Unknown

Iteru ~ the Great River, the oldest name for the Nile, longest river in the world travelling through 1/10th of Africa for 4 160 miles ~ give or take the odd mile or two, depending on the tides I guess or which part of the delta you're measuring from.

That Egypt survived, & even thrived, is completely due to the Nile, which has it's source in Ethiopia. And while it was at it the Nile produced Nile crocs that have brains & hearts more advanced than those of other living reptiles though frankly, I can do without crocs of any description...

And yet it seems there is a huge underground river flowing beneath the Nile with 6 times more water than the river above. Why not? There's at least a dozen rivers flowing beneath London, like the Fleet, most tributaries of the Thames. Pub trivia contestants go down on this one all the time. I mean, how many other London rivers can you name? I didn't say I could name them; I just know they're there, the remains of tributaries diverted into canals & culverts, forced underground to flow into the Thames under the very streets bearing their names: the Fleet, the Falcon, Stamford...

Well, I did mention the word *trivia*.

6 comments:

seekingmyLord said...

I am just loving the quote!!!! It kind of puts things in an interesting perspective, doesn't it?

Of course, your trivia is always delightful as well.

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Too true! Well... that and God and stuff. :]

Diane Shiffer said...

my goodness, i never knew that about underground rivers! i did know most of the other info about the nile however... noah was fascinated with all things egyptian for about 3 years, so he keeps me well informed.

and speaking of being well informed, i feel i should inform you that today is monday not *tuesday*

*DUCKING!* hehehe

Sandra said...

Always interesting. I am tired and I haven't been online. I will need to come back in the AM when I am fresh. It looks like I have missed some things!

Constance said...

I for one truly appreciate trivia! In our family I have been crowned,
"The Queen of Useless Trivia".
I think the quest for knowledge keeps our brains young!

I enjoyed your post on camping. You know that we are a family of campers and our kids grew up spending time under the tent flaps! My oldest Jennifer, is definitely NOT a camper, she's kind of prissy and high maintanence. Still, I love her to pieces! Different strokes for different folks. The other 3, now that's a different story! I love having a campfire and the memories you make sitting around it! When growing up, I was a Girl Scout Leader for my daughter Laura. We did Scouts for 7 years. Our last year, we were just a Mother-Daughter Troop because the other 6 girls had developed other interests or had moved away. She and I went on a campout and had a roaring fire. The next thing we knew, we had a bunch of people asking us if they could enjoy our fire. I don't think any of those Leaders even knew how to make a fire! Shame, shame.

Hugs today,
Connie

Allison said...

I keep saying that I need to go visit the pyramids while they're still standing. It is just utterly fascinating that no one has quite figured out how the Egyptians built them!