GANEIDA'S KNOT.

Go mbeannai Dia duit.

About Me

My photo
Quaker by conviction, mother by default, Celticst through love, Christ follower because I once was lost but now am found...

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Here we go again.

If you have stage fright, it never goes away. But then I wonder: is the key to that magical performance because of the fear?

Stevie Nicks

Last year I wouldn't even consider it. Last year I hadn't been driving on the mainland in 20 years ~ certainly not in a big city. Last year we were new to this whole singing thing. This year I am out of excuses. This year we are doing Creative Generation.

This has a huge choir. Naturally Alison is involved & if Alison is involved she takes her AVAE choir with her. The kids are lucky. Most aren't in state schools but they are professionally trained so I don't have to do all the rehearsals etc. And Alison was immediately aware that boats were a problem for us & said they would work around it with us. Ditz, naturally, is keen. Ditz, apparently, was asked to audition for a solo ~ & said no. She does not feel ready to solo at a big production like this, one that channel 10 is televising; 90 minutes of a 2 hour production. Yeah, well, I so wouldn't want to do that either. Hard to imagine my Ditz lacking for confidence but apparently some of the shibboleths haunt her.

Interestingly I am hearing her more at rehearsals. Her voice has got stronger ~ a lot of hot air is coming from somewhere. As she pointed out, yeah, she can be heard when the boys aren't there! So June looks like being a busy month. June looks like developing into one of those nightmares I hate, when I am travelling on the mainland more than I'm at home...in the city...hanging round waiting because I can't get home. It sucks being a performing parent!

9 comments:

Sandra said...

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. : )

Ganeida said...

Thanks, Sandra. Care to trade places...?

Molytail said...

She does not feel ready to solo at a big production like this, one that channel 10 is televising; 90 minutes of a 2 hour production. Yeah, well, I so wouldn't want to do that either. You couldn't pay me enough to do that. Well..maybe. Big bucks though, very big bucks! *grin*

seekingmyLord said...

My grandfather always said...well, I will not write it exactly the way he said it, but he always said: God never puts more on you than you can take, but I sure wish...He did not think so much of me.

I felt the same way when the Princess started piano lessons four years ago. The drive is not in the city, but still I have to go on a major, I mean MAJOR 12-lane highway. (Just not something a small town girl gets experience doing during driver's ed class.) It is just a short distance on it, but it can be unnerving. The only comfort I can give you is that the more often you do it the more comfortable you will become in doing it--also, having stash of chocolate does wonders.

Ganeida said...

Moly: I agree all the way to the bank!

Seeking: I grew up on the outskirts of our biggest city ~ Sydney. I am comfortable with trains & buses but I learnt to drive in the country after I left home & while highways don't faze me the narrow, crowded, winding street of Brisbane with all their one way signs really throw me for a loop & I do get very frazzled.

The HoJo's said...

so exciting :o) go Ditz, I'm thinking the solo's will come soon enough

xc

Anonymous said...

Well done, Ditz! To be thought enough of to want her to do a solo -she must be good!

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

I'm with Ditz! NO way I'd audition for a huge part like that, either!

But are you sure she's not just being modest? She must be an awesome singer!

Ganeida said...

MrsC: I really don't know. The kid can carry a tune; that's about all I know. Auditioning does not mean she would have got a part but Alison likes them to try for the experience. I'm not sure Ditz has that picture. In her mind auditioning = part.

Hojos: Like my mum says, Ditz is still pretty young.
HSM4C: I honestly don't know if Ditz is good. I'm used to her I guess. Ditz sings. I lug her round so she can sing. I must be mad. :D