GANEIDA'S KNOT.

Go mbeannai Dia duit.

About Me

My photo
Quaker by conviction, mother by default, Celticst through love, Christ follower because I once was lost but now am found...

Friday, May 15, 2009

Food, glorious food.

There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert FrostMy children are foodies. I have no idea how that happened but foodies they are & I have a large kitchen made for cooking as a community activity. Even so, some days it feels pretty crowded though truth be told I hate to cook alone. OK, I just don't like cooking but I really hate to cook alone. I did years teaching homeless kids basic survival skills & have you ever tried to teach a kid to cook spagetti bog who won't use garlic...or onion...or tomatoes...or capsicum? Not fun I can assure you. I should be grateful my lot like experimenting with different flavours.

Liddy cooked Friday night. Sweet braised pumpkin which was very Thai with the tang of lime, ginger & coriander; peppered stir~fried beans & asparagus; fillet steak with onion marmalade. It was really, really nice. Liddy & I were particularly keen on the pumpkin with it's very Thai flavours, so light yet tangy. I think she missed her calling but as she pointed out rather tartly, she likes to cook for herself. That's fine so long as she shares with me!

11 comments:

seekingmyLord said...

What a blessing! I look forward to the days when my daughter can prepare an entire meal on her own.

Sandra said...

That looks delicious. I want some!

Molytail said...

No steak for me, but I'd be all over that pumpkin I bet! I've only ever had pumpkin pie and roasted pumpkin seeds, never just eaten it cooked - but I love love love stuff like butternut & acorn squashes, so I bet I'd love cooked pumpkin too!

Diane Shiffer said...

oh my liddy and i would have great fun together! that dinner looks simply marvelous♥

Mrs. Darling said...

Yum. I loave to cook too but so far I dont see it in Tink and definitely not in Wendy. Did liddy follow a recipe for that pumpkin? If so could you post it?

Britwife said...

Wow, all of that looks delicious! I love pumpkin ANYTHING - and as you know, I love food. It's putting the meatloaf that I have in the oven to shame.

Ganeida said...

Seeking: I started early. I was prepared to eat whatever my little ones prepared so long as I didn't have to cook it ~ baked beans on toast, scambled eggs, packet noodles. They all learnt to cook early. In this house it is a survival skill. Some days I just refuse to have anything to do with the kitchen ~ even if I'm hungry myself. lol.

Moly: The pumpkin was extreme yumminess. I've put the recipe up for MrsD if you want it.

Sandra: you ever out this way pop in. I'm sure Lib'll whip you up something seeing how far you have to travel. ;)

Diane: One day you & Lib can get it on to cook in God's kitchen. I'll look forward to eating the results.

MrsD: recipe up for you.

Britwife: pumpkin is my favourite vegetable of all time. Don't worry about your meatloaf. What passes for food when I cook is nothing like this. ;D

Diane Shiffer said...

ganeida... ooh! i love that prospect♥

Allison said...

I really like to cook...for other people. My diet has been the same for years - simple, sometimes quirky stuff. It's a shame, really, because I've been told I make a great steak but have no interest in sampling it myself.

seekingmyLord said...

Personally, I am lean on the raw foods with no cooking, cut it up and make a salad or blend into a drink. The less processing and pots to wash the better.

The Princess, on the other hand, would make mac and cheese, hot dogs, and/or pancakes for every meal, if she could.

Jan Lyn said...

This looks wonderful! It definately counts for home ec credits too...put it in her log for the year. :) In fact, may I borrow her? Mine don't seem to want to help and I could really use some! LOL