GANEIDA'S KNOT.

Go mbeannai Dia duit.

About Me

My photo
Quaker by conviction, mother by default, Celticst through love, Christ follower because I once was lost but now am found...

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Motherhood has a very humanizing effect. Everything gets reduced to essentials. ~Meryl Streep

 Well we are back from whence we've gone ~ & just in the nick of time.  Kirby has done his dash & Dearest has sworn he will never be solely responsible for my cats ever, ever again. *sigh*   Kirby expressed his upset & displeasure at my absence by attacking Dearest's stamps ~ which are his home business as well as his hobby so not the thing to do, Kirby!  I had to confine Kirby last night as he is the escape artiste extraordinaire & will do his dastardly deeds in the dark of night.   I knew it was going to be touchy but not even I expected such wickedness.




Star & I left for mum's after her choir rehearsals on Wednesday ~ so a night drive which is mesmerizing & hypnotic over long distances.  Star sang the entire way, which should have been enough to keep anyone from slumber but I have extraordinary powers in that direction so she sang & fed me jelly snakes & told me wild tales of impossible deeds ~ at least, I hope they are impossible!


Mum's, like us, has had an inordinate amount of rain over winter which has been very good for her garden & it is looking lovely though I think mum is about to come to blows with the employed *gardeners*, who seem to know nothing about growing anything & are responsible for cutting the lillipillies into the most extraordinary shapes, pruning the roses just as they have all burst into bud & dump mulch on bone dry garden beds.  Mum is beside herself ~ understandably.    Everywhere she has lived she has established an absolutely riotous garden & to see good plants so abused goes against her grain.


We only had a couple of days; after all, school has resumed up here.  I mourn the early days when we could ignore the public school schedule at will  & take good solid breaks outside of regular school hours but these days all Star's music is tied into the school schedules so that is that.  Our first day was lovely & we managed a lovely long walk along the empty beach & a lovely afternoon tea at The Loaded Lizard, who do the loveliest homemade biscuits & slices.  Very yummy.  A good thing we didn't wait as the clouds came over & the rain came down & our second day was wet, windy & miserable.  We played darts & ping~pong & watched a movie but mum was a bit concerned as flash flooding hit the low lying areas & while the highway remains high & dry, Star & I are not guaranteed to remain on the highway!  We headed off mid~morning Saturday during a break in the weather & remained dry until the Brisbane outskirts.  Naturally we just missed a boat & got rather damp around the edges getting home but we are back & Star is gearing up for a really busy term.  She needs to get stuck into her school work as the reality is she needs to get all done this month.  Next month is a nightmare & we just won't be here.

9 comments:

Amanda said...

Hello friend!

I enjoyed reading your post...

oh dear, is Kirby hoping to use up one of 9 lives??! ;-)

The time with your Mother sounded so nice. I am glad you got to spend some time with her. The Loaded Lizard sounds like a delicious place to visit. I just love the names of some of the eating places around today. David and I enjoyed a beautiful salad meal for lunch last week at a cafe called The Three Monkeys at Mission Beach. It was so delicious we will be making the 40 minute trip back there again. It makes for a nice day out.

Libby said...

We have a place (Cafe) in Brisbane called the Three Monkeys, it's delightful :)

Mother does this mean that you are now online? It's pouring rain and has constantly here for the past month, our rivers have come alive and we nearly got flooded in down the road at one of the camping sites... You should see the roads.

Ma's looks fab, sorry I wasn't there myself. Did Star actaully go for a swim or is it not tempting enough without her big sis?

Next time you come down please leave enough time for a walk. I have found the perfect destination, something that you will enjoy tremendously...

Amanda said...

Lobstar, I have been to that cafe in Brisbane!! It is gorgeous! I am always reminded of that one when I go to the one in Mission Beach bearing the same name.

Finding Joy said...

Good to hear from again. Cats do have a way telling us what they think. Then they pretend that nothing has happened. My dad is like your mum, can tuen any patch of dirt into a beautiful garden. Most people create quick gardens that don't have any character. My dads were always exciting to walk through.

I do hope the school term goes well with Star.

Ruby said...

If that pic is your Mum's it still looks gorgeously riotous! I love that sort of garden ( sighs she with no garden of her own).
Kirby is obviously a very intelligent, although wicked, cat and went for the jugular, so to speak :-(
I know what you mean about the last term being hectic. Too many social engagements, deadlines and way too much heat and humidity! Do you have an aircon'd room? We don't, but I think it would make all the difference for school. We would live in it!
Have a good week, Ganeida.

Ganeida said...

Amanda: it is nice to be back. I am busy catching up but while reading may not manage a comment.

Yes, Liddy, we are baaack...No, Star didn't swim.
Walkies work if we arrive early enough so...

Jo: yes, Kirby is rather subdued but much happier now I am home again.

Ruby: lol Mum's on the canal side. It is looking very lovely & she has to keep pruning to keep her water views but worth the effort. Kirby's whole problem is how smart he is. It makes him neurotic & wicked & a real handful at times.

We don't have air con anywhere. I try to be all done before the hot weather & anyway, once the music really heats up all schooling bites the dust. Musically this is a really diabolical term ~ & the biggest reason for dropping her instruments. We get to here & it is just chaotic!!! We don't cope so the less we have to coipe with the better.

Nice to be back everyone. ☺

seekingmyLord said...

Wait until you find out what my cat has been doing with our trip...later for that!

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Oh, cats can be so devious! And then they can act so good for so long! You just never know with these creatures...

Pen Wilcock said...

Glad you made it safe home - I always get worried for the driver on those long-haul trips. x