GANEIDA'S KNOT.

Go mbeannai Dia duit.

About Me

My photo
Quaker by conviction, mother by default, Celticst through love, Christ follower because I once was lost but now am found...

Sunday, January 3, 2010

A book a day keeps the Mentalist away.

" She is too fond of books; & it has turned her brain. " Louisa May Alcott.
I came to books so young I don't even remember learning to read. I was enchanted that it was so easy to access another world ~ particularly during maths period. My left~brained, logical, linear thinking daughter is completely horrified by my right~brained celtic~knot thinking. It does her head in completely. She can't work out how I live inside my head. Nothing in there makes sense to her. When Ditz turns wicked she begins radom conversations with me, within Liddy's hearing, about imaginary friends in imaginary worlds as if both friends & worlds actually existed. Ditz, whose own world has to be very calm & ordered before she can sit quietly with a book & read. That may be but Ditz & I share a brain.

Nowhere is this discrepancy more obvious than in the "realism" genre. I read "realism" ~ as I would fiction; with a large pinch of salt, devouring biographies & archeology with copious amounts of coffee & chocolate. Liddy is grounded. She reads authors like Joan Lindgard's books on The Northern Irish conflict. I got bored after the first one. She read a whole trilogy about the racial conflict in South Africa. I managed a chapter or two. Liddy has a stack of missionary books I haven't even looked at because to my mind they are dull beyond belief. Left to my own devises I choose books like Portrait of a Marriage ~ Vita Sackville~West's most extraordinary relationship with Harold Nicolson [hardly suitable reading material for a teenager but I was, & am, charmed by Sissinghurst.] I was charmed enought to move on to all Nicolson's diaries, working my way steadily through a list of most peculiar authors: Virginia Woolf, Nancy Mitford & Oscar Wilde.

It is not only that in many ways my mind travels along similar paths as these authors, their sexuality aside, & of no interest to me in any way. It was only as I was listing them I was struck by that similarity & wondered what on earth that says about my reading choices! Ah, well. Between the pages of the books they wrote lies a world of excruciating beauty where language is used with exquisite precision & however wrong they may be they live passionate lives. They spoilt me forever for most modern novels, especially American novels that read like somebody's forgotten newspaper, dry as sawdust & moving predictably forward along a well~defined plot path to an inevitable end & a long yawn. I stopped reading when books stopped engaging me in a world of beauty & intrigue where anything at all might happen & one needed to be braver than one ever knew one could be just to climb out of bed in the morning.

Occasionally, very occasionally, an author comes along who again charms me with their exquisite use of language & their books I store carefully on my shelves to be read & re~read as good friends who have survived the passage of the years: Margaret Attwood, particularly The Handmaid's Tale; Helen Garner: Monkey Grip; Richard Llewellyn: How Green Was My Valley; Kate Llewellyn: The Waterlilly; Randolph Stowe: The Merry~go~Round in the Sea; anything by Rumour Godden. Stowe, Llewellyn, Wilde were poets as well as novelists & it shows in their writing. There is an enviable flow, a lightness of touch, scintillating use of metaphor & simile. I devour their books like a starving man who hasn't seen a square meal in months. I savour phrases for weeks. I roll images round my mind for months. Years later I will catch a glimpse & instantly recognise something read but not fully understood until that moment.

Liddy is more than a little horrified by the books she finds on my shelves, even given that her mother majored in Literature at university.

"But why on earth would you want to read that?" Of Monkey Grip [about heroin addiction & full of foul language]. Of Randolph Stowe [about the mental devastation left by WWII ~ amongst other things]. Of The Waterlilly [about adultery & gardening; & a white garden at that.]

For lines like this: clear, simple, direct & conveying so much more than the words.

"Now a waterlily has appeared in the front yard. Was it an omen? Standing by the pond, the man I went to the city to see said in his usual laconic manner, " You have a waterlily coming." There it was, half hidden by ivy..."

Books are not about plot & story~lines. I care little for such things. I care a great deal about beauty. I like best those authors who with a word or two can deliver a crushing blow to my solar plexus & leave me gasping & winded by the sheer beauty of their imagery. What infuriates me more than anything is that so few Christian authors have even dipped a toe in this treacherous water, serving up insipidity & predictability with the inevitability of Armageddon. Where are the Christians who write with delicacy & precision, with passion, with that exquisite lightness of touch that can convey a whole world in a word or two? Who have mastered the art of being minimalist without becoming unintelligible? Wilde, who was a very naughty man indeed & not the sort of moral man one looks for in a mentor, taught me more about the purpose & meaning of Christianity in one short fairy tale [The Selfish Giant] than many far more moral & well~meaning writers who committed the unforgivable literary sin of being dull. And what is a girl to do when the worthy are so uninspiring & the inspiring so unworthy?

13 comments:

kimba said...

I understand the sentiments but still disapprove of most of your choices.

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

It's nice to see a fellow Christian who is willing to admit she reads stuff besides the Bible every now and again. :)

Ganeida said...

Kimba: I should like to know what you've actually read because the only one that is really questionable [actually being graphic] is Monkey Grip. The others you could read & totally miss all the questionable innuendos. I should know. I did. lol.

MrsC: I was a reader before I was a Christian & intellectual honesty is intellectual honesty. Bad literature remains bad literature no matter how worthy it's topic. What I want is for Christian authors to step up to the mark & stop being so timid. Being a Christian should not mean feeding the mind drivel but while I have read some middling authors most are just apalling. I think even God must cringe but I could be wrong about that. Mind you, His was the mind behing Iisiah, Job & Song of Songs & none of that is drivel, intellectually dishonest or bad literature. Oh, & quite a lot of the subject matter could be considered objectionable!

MamaOlive said...

I guess it's no surprise that I don't agree with you on this one. Books are ALL about the story! :-D I agree that writing should be "good" writing, but I don't get most of what you're saying. I understand it, but I don't "get" it. Did you ever read George MacDOnald? At the Back of the North Wind might be something you'd understand. It was a little too fruity for me. The strictly fairy tales like The Golden Key were completely over my head. Most of his novels have been edited heavily, because he'd go off on a multi-page sermon in the middle of the story. Not that that reminds me of anybody. ;-)

Ganeida said...

MamaO: lol Poor you. I've tried MacDonald but he is too waffly for me. The authors I've mentioned tend to be minamalist but not necessarily A leads to B leads to C sorts. They are wonderful to read for reasons besides plot. I actually think you might like the Waterlily. In her effort to end an affair with a married man the protaginist moves to The Blue Mountains [which are really lovely] & builds this awesome sounding garden. Her journel is about the garden & good food & only very briefly mentions the man ~ who gives her the waterlily that dominates her garden. Like I said, I like the layers but it can be read straight without worrying about the innuendos. ☺ I probably did too much poetry at uni. The way words sound on a page is at least as important to me as what they are saying.

seekingmyLord said...

"And what is a girl to do when the worthy are so uninspiring & the inspiring so unworthy?"

Ganeida, you know the answer to this one question. Write...write that which is inspiring and worthy...write the books that indulge your appetite for "excruciating beauty where language is used with exquisite precision" and yet you would not be ashamed to read aloud to Jesus Himself.

Ganeida said...

Seeking: I would if I could. The trouble is I am not the sort of writer I so admire & am incapable of that which I should very much like to be capable. The post war generation had Tolkien, Chesterton, Sayers, Lewis to keep the Christian standard high. There is no~one to equal them in this now. I think that is more than a little odd, don't you?

seekingmyLord said...

You and I are so alike in this as well, and I think you are selling yourself way too short, even you blog is proof of that to those of us who read it. I write articles, as you know, and I think that most of them are unworthy to be published, yet I am complimented often on them. I am an artist and I have yet to feel even one thing I have completed could not be improved upon and lacked mastery. And I understand your passion for wordsmithery, but you, my dear, must realize that even your worse work is so much better than average and so uniquely you that it will be sought after. I think it is an artist's lot in life to never feel she can admire her own work; we must only be willing to let the others, who would, admire it.

Siano said...

I love that you quoted The Waterlily: more than 20 years on, that bookis as fresh and crisp as if I were reading it for the first time.

Siano said...

On innuendo - I didn't have a clue what Monkey Grip was about the first time I read it - I just loved the language (not the foul sort, the excruciatingly beautiful sort), and the layering. Was rather horrified on a subsequent rereading to find out exactly what it was I had fallen so in love with...

Ganeida said...

Seeking: That is a very sweet compliment. I think I know my limitations & strengths as a writer. I am *middling* ~ & that's not bad; just nowhere as good as I should like to be. If one is aiming for something one at least might as well aim high. ☺

Siano: Agreed. It has never worn thin on me. Maybe it's just I have a thing for witers who write about their gardens?

Lol about Monkey Grip. I wasn't that niave but I do understand. The only author I know who can make 4~letter words sound lovely! Such a strange lady. Beautiful writing.

Jan Lyn said...

Oh Ganeida you certainly made my chuckle at the end of this by daring to say what has been on my mind for a long time. We truly do lack good Christian writers. I crave beauty in writing as well. Lately, I've been up to reading poetry due to my short concentration with my eyes.

Awaiting your first novel, so that I can say that I knew her when.....

I'm catching up in your blog slowly here after being derailed from the holidays! :)

Ganeida said...

Jan Lyn! I am always so happy to see you have visited. It tells me you are having a reasonable day ~ all things considered. I have the novels ~ in draft forms. The cat likes sleeping on them & chewing on the corners! lol I dislike editing so we may get no further but I can at least occassionaly read the sort of thing that amuses & interests me. I'm afraid the rest of you must do without! lol