GANEIDA'S KNOT.

Go mbeannai Dia duit.

About Me

My photo
Quaker by conviction, mother by default, Celticst through love, Christ follower because I once was lost but now am found...

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Not the Same God.

Christianity has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and not tried.  ~G.K Chesterton




I'm not much good at Apologetics.  Apologetics requires logic & logic is not my strong suit.  Besides, I hate arguing about stuff.  During the course of a misspent life I've discovered most people aren't shifted by logic anyway.  They just go on thinking whatever they want to think.  So when I run into something that is simple, straightforward & irrefutable I am delighted beyond words!
When we got given our seating arrangements for this term I rather felt for my seat~mate.  She is one of the loud exuberant charismatics ~ & she got landed with me!   I'm not sure if the powers that be had twigged but we actually get on rather well together. S~M thinks I radiate a deep peace.  If only she knew!  She is a generous soul with a sharp eye for freebies & so an assortment of things have landed on my desk over the weeks.  One of those things was a free paper called Eternity which, though very thin, had some surprisingly interesting articles.  What caught my eye was this little gem on Islam & Christianity that took place on a Melbourne Uni campus.

Now you don't have to be overly conversant with Islam to realise that Muslims & Christians do not speak the same language when it comes to religion but I've lost count of the number of times I've heard people mutter inanely, But we all worship the same God.  We don't.  There are any number of good reasons why that is just not true but a good debater can tie most Christians up in knots in no time at all & the argument goes no~where & nothing like the truth gets spoken.  I know Uni campuses all too well.  It's not about being right.  It's not about being true.  It's about being clever enough to win. *sigh*

I guess Bernie Power knows Uni campuses too because he didn't even try to defend a Christian position.  He did something so simple a child could do it & defend the faith.  He asked all the Muslims in the room to raise their hands & to lower them when they heard something they disagreed with then ~ joy, delight, dancing a little jig here ~ he began to recite the Apostle's Creed.  You know...

I believe in God the Father Almighty,
Maker of Heaven & Earth....

At the word *Father* some hands went down.

And in Jesus Christ, His only son, our Lord.....most hands dropped.

He was conceived by the Holy Spirit,
Born of the Virgin Mary,
Suffered under Pontious Pilate
Was crucified, died & was buried... & every hand in the room went down ~ & not even halfway through a creed that was one of the Church's earliest statements of faith & which lays out the fundamentals accepted by most Christian denominations no matter what colour, shape or denomination!

Irrefutable.  Because the Muslims could not deny that they did not believe what the creed stated.  Yay for Bernie Power!

4 comments:

Joyfulmum said...

I'm not very goog at apologetics either! Melbourne uni has had some very good things happen there including my hubby and is brother becoming Christians there, two very good Christians indeed! ;)

Deborah said...

Yes, it is true - Islam and Christianity do NOT serve the same God. In fact - christianity and catholicism don't even serve the same God, believe it or not. :o)

seekingmyLord said...

I believe that many Christians (myself included) try to erase the line between logic and faith. It is a self-sustaining argument on all sides for that in which we each have placed faith is logical to us (or what is logical to us is in which we place our faith) and all argument against such is illogical.

Also, we believe in the God Who can defy logic, which is far more convincing to the unbeliever.

As I see it, Apologetics is more for defining one's believes for the believer than for the unbeliever.

Anonymous said...

Many Catholics I know, do know and love the same Lord Jesus and God as we do. Not for us to judge. Blessings.