Saturday, April 17, 2010
For Fantasy Readers.
Jeanne, here, posted a 100 best children's books list. Book lists are always fun. The problem is that while I read, & still read, widely, my first preference has always been for fantasy ~ a genre that is notably missing from many of these lists yet has some of the best writing & best children's authors going. To get a reader to suspend reality long enough to read an entire novel requires talent. So I have made a Best Ten list of my own; fantasy authors that are worth every moment to read. Missing from my list are most of the stand~bys that sometimes make regular lists ~ The Wind In the Willows [I can't abide talking animals], The Hobbit [Tolkien needed a ruthless editor who could stop him waffling], The Wizard of Oz [ho~hum] & Pinocchio, which I just plain didn't like.
So here we go:
1.The Owl Service ~ Alan Garner. This has got to be about the best ever YA fantasy.
2. Sabriel ~ Garth Nix. Innovative & genuinly original with very strong writing.
3. The Spellcoats ~ Diana Wynne Jones [she writes for a variety of ages; this one's for older children]
4. The Children of Greene Knowe ~ Lucy M. Boston
5.The Little Prince ~ Antoine Saint~Exupery
6. The Dark is Rising [2nd book in The Dark is Rising series] ~Susan Cooper
7. Linnets & Valerians ~ Elizabeth Goudge [Lots of lovely books to choose from with this lady]
8. Andra ~Louise Lawrence
9. A Wrinkle in Time ~Madeline L'Engle
10. The Last Battle ~ C.S. Lewis.
Even better about 1/2 are Christian writers! Some more than others but there it is.
So, if you like fantasy, which ones have you read? Or, even better, whom do you read & like? Do share.