GANEIDA'S KNOT.

Go mbeannai Dia duit.

About Me

My photo
Quaker by conviction, mother by default, Celticst through love, Christ follower because I once was lost but now am found...

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Chicken Tonight.

cat ~ [Kat]/n. Dog with an attitude problem.



My how things have changed around here! Remember those kittens we brought home? The ones who hid wedged in the deepest, darkest corners under the couch, at the back of the bed, in the cupboards? Yes, those kittens. The ones who bolted upstairs if a parrot squawked, or the postman knocked & definitely on Sunday mornings when everyone arrived for church. The very same kittens. We haven't changed cats but the cats have changed.



Yes, I know they're waxing sleek & fat. I'm not discussing their ever expanding girth or the way they carry their tails like a yard~arm pennant waving merrily in a rising breeze. This is a quite different breed of cat. These are the cats who get up in the morning & realise it's Sunday. Sunday is chicken day. Sundays they hurtle downstairs like 2 furry cannon balls & watch me like a hawk until I rummage for the car keys & head for the door. Instead of rushing outside to join me they rush to the end window from whence they can watch with great anticipation for my return because on Sundays when I depart to procure the Sunday paper & the salad makings I bring home hot roasted chicken. The smell proceeds me down the path so that by the time I arrive in my kitchen the cats are frantic with anticipation. Chicken, chicken, chicken tonight!



Now I hate breaking apart a chook. Totally gross. And greasy. Slimy even. Oh, & catty. I give that lovely job to Ditz & Ditz gets mobbed. Ditz gets the furballs under her feet, twining through her ankles, sinking anxious claws into her flesh. She gets the demanding meows, & the small impatient bodies launching into space in the vain hope they can get to the chicken before Ditz gets to them. Ditz yells, I snicker, the cats go frantic but Ditz collects a small portion of scraps that she doles out judiciously to the best behaved puss in turn.



Marlow is a chook fanatic. He adores a nice juicy piece of chicken. Fed, the cats slink away before our guest arrive ~ or they were. Things have changed. Yesterday as our friends arrived the cats rushed out to greet them, lifting small pointy chins to be rubbed, ears scratched, backs stroked. They hurtled round the room in a frenzy of delight showing off abysmally, displaying every cute catty trick they know & all their well known charms. They delighted in being the centre of attention & having welcomed our guests settled down to listen to the scripture & chat until it was time to makes the rounds at lunch to procure further tid~bits. Our friends are sweet & knowing our cats put a little extra chicken on their plates, nicely shredded, to tempt shy puss' their way. The kittens weren't shy! They begged, they cajoled, they bribed. They're spoilt. Oh, yes they are. And they're just too cute for words.

14 comments:

Ruby said...

LOL! It's funny the way pets become precious in a house hold. We are missing our old dog. I actually don't need cats since I have 3 males who are more than happy to help with food scrap disposal!

Ganeida said...

Oh Ruby, I haven't met a cat I didn't like! I'm totally a cat person but the unexpected death of our last cat, who was totally & completely my cat with a BIG BIG BIG personality & only 5 has left a gaping hole that the kittens aren't big enough to fill yet. They're getting there & they are totally adorable in their own right. ☺

Unknown said...

Sounds like those kitties have you all wrapped around their tails! I haven't met the kitty yet that can't plie choice tidbits from their human's plate, mine aren't suppsed to have people food and yet they still get scraps. They especially love when I make pot roast because it means the drippings get poured over their kibble.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ganeida,
How different your cats are from the shy, retiring creatures that came to your home a short while ago! How they have made themselves at home, too. :)

Oh, if it were only possible to come back as a cat, I'd come back as YOUR cat and be totally spoilt!!!

Have a great week,
Love and blessings, Jillian ♥

Diane Shiffer said...

Don't you just love the transformation that love can bring? I think that is my favorite thing... to take an animal (or a child♥) and gently nurture them until their little hearts open and their personalities come shining out. Best thing this world has to offer, to my way of thinking☺

Diane Shiffer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeanne said...

I'm glad you're starting to love your pussies. They sound like real characters!

Sandra said...

Amazing what a little bribery will do! Your guests are in for it now that kitties have their number. You will have an interesting day of church from here forward I think. : )

seekingmyLord said...

It is amazing how cats eventually figure out that they are the real owners of their owners. That you claim to never have met a cat you don't like sounds like a challenge to me. I am tempted to send you mine to test that out, but he just never has traveled well.

Ganeida said...

Jillian: I'm sure you'd be an adorable cat & I'd let you sleep in my chair & on the bed too. ☺

Diane: Totally.

Jeanne: Whichever way you scrub it all our animmals seem to have personality plus!

Sandra: You are sooo right! They were warned.

Seeking: My youngest boy had the most awful cat ~ far worse than yours I think. we still loved her to bits when she would let us & grieved when we lost her. Wouldn't have a cat like it from choice but she needed a home & as much love as her more social relatives.

Constance said...

I am a total cat person myself! I prefer them over a sloppy dog. I think my "dog issues" are actually "dog owner issues". I can't tell you how many times I have gone to a home and been jumped on and slobbered on, even when wearing nice clothes. It's so bad at one of our friends' house, I wait in the car while Dave goes to the door so we can all leave to go out for dinner.

I think that some dog owners believe this is acceptable behavior and yet, if one of my grandkids had a snotty nose and peanut butter and jelly hands and came running at them, they'd push them away. (Not that I would let one of them approach someone w/o being cleaned up first, but that is my point!) I also believe that some dog owners, like many parents, don't discipline their pets/children. Whether it's lack of knowledge or a fear of being ddisliked, the end result is the same:bratty kids or pets.

Since when did this turn into "All about Me?"
Ha Ha!
Connie

Molytail said...

Now I hate breaking apart a chook. Totally gross. And greasy. Slimy even.

Try goose. Prolly one of the greasiest birds I've ever had to tear apart after dinner LOL [I don't have a clue what it tastes like, not being a meat eater myself, but the rest of the family ate it]

Those cats are adorable ~ and they KNOW it. ;-)

Allison said...

Ha! Poor Ditz. Glad they're making themselves at home!

Diane Shiffer said...

Missing my ganeida:-{