GANEIDA'S KNOT.

Go mbeannai Dia duit.

About Me

My photo
Quaker by conviction, mother by default, Celticst through love, Christ follower because I once was lost but now am found...

Friday, June 11, 2010

Bienenstich

It can be very frustrating to taste something sublime & not know how to make it. ~ Stephanie Alexander
Nothing beats a cold winter's day than a cat to cuddle...
A good movie....
& Beesting cake.
The new t.v is amazing but I made the mistake, having enjoyed Fly Away Home so much, of also watching season 4 of The deadliset Catch! Oh my! Too realistic for me!
I believe a traditional bienenstich is made from a yeast mixture, which this is not, but it is quick & simple & Ditz managed this unsupervised without any trouble at all. So here's the recipe we use.
150g softened butter
1/2 cup castor sugar
1 1/2 cups S.R Flour
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
Topping
40g butter
1/2 cup castor sugar
1 Tablespoon milk
1/2 cup flaked almonds
Filling
1/2 cup castor sugar
2 tablespoons cornflour
3 egg yolks lightly beaten
1 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla essence
Beat butter & sugar until light & creamy. Agg eggs on at a time. Stir in sifted flour alternately with the milk until the mixture is smooth & well combined. Drizzle evenly with topping.
Spread mixture into a greased, lined 20cm pan & bake for about 45 minutes until cake is well cooked in the centre. Remove from oven & let stand in pan 10 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely.

To make topping combine butter sugar milk in a small pan. Stir over low heat until mixture dissolves. Bring to boil. Add almonds. Cool slightly before using.

To make filling: blend sugar, cornflour & egg yolks together in a small pan until a smooth paste is formed. Gradually stir in milk, stirring constantly over a low heat until mixture boils & thickens. Remove from heat. Stir in essence. Transfer to bowl, cover with plastic wrap & allow to cool to room temperature before cutting cake horizontally in half. Apply custard to the bottom half & put cake back together. Leftovers [should you be so lucky] should be kept in the fridge. Enjoy!

14 comments:

Sandra said...

I'm so glad you have the cats to enjoy. It looks as if they also have you to enjoy!

That cake looks good enough to eat.

Mom said...

Oh that cake looks so good! We got rid of our big TV. It just seemed too much, but it was very nice while we had it. Now...wish I a piece of that cake!

Anonymous said...

Hi Ganeida,
Ooh, my favourite cake, and I'm not there to eat it ~ now where's the fairness in life???

I am going to have a go at this one, as it sounds delightfully easy to make. Thank you for sharing.

Have a wonderful and blessed week,
Love Jillian ♥

Ganeida said...

Sandra: Marlow is such a gentleman about asking for a cuddle ~ then he slothes on his back in my lap like that! lol Our Ditz has become a very good little cook.

Bonnie: well we're getting older & funny thing is, Dearest & I can now actually *see* what's happening on the screen. Too funny making.

Jillian. *wave icon*. You know where to find me. ☺ Phone ahead & we'll be sure to have some cake on hand.

Finding Joy said...

Sounds easy - must give it a try. Yes the original German cake has yeast, but I don't cook with yeast as things usually go wrong.

Does you cat watch TV - Meercat Manor was on last night (no sounds) and Ruby sat up and watched them for a while.

Amanda said...

Ganeida, is that you in the 1st pic? You look different to your profile pic (but it is side on, so that may explain it lol)...

Put the kettle on... Jillian and I will be over shortly for some of that delicious beesting ;) I am sure it would be worth the plane fare lol.

Ganeida said...

Jo: Kirby likes geese & fish ~ any way he can get them! ☺

Amanda: any anomalies in photography put down to Ditz. The child had me looking like a gargoyle at one point! Hardly flattering. The joys of growing older.

Jeanne said...

Hmmm, I thought you didn't like food. Silly me.

That non-food cake looks most yummy though, I must say.

Diane Shiffer said...

Fly Away Home is one of my most favorite movies ever! Noah bought me the DVD actually. And here's a point of interest for ya... the location where this movie is set is pretty much my exact part of the world. They started out to the north of us and would have almost passed us overhead as they went south. The climate and "look" of the land at the father's home is identical to the landscapes around here. We have Canada geese in plentiful supply around here, and some even think of them as pests... not me though;-)

BTW, have you seen BBC's adaptation of North and South? AMelai and I watched it for the first time this week and fell totally, absolutely, one-hundred-percent head over heels in love. Richard Armitage is just divine in the role of Mr. Thornton. (I'm still swooning... and it takes a lot to get me into a swoon-y state these days, I can tell you;-D)

Diane Shiffer said...

Amelia... I meant to write:Amelia.


I do know how to spell my own child's name, really I do.

Ganeida said...

Jeanne: lol. It's the cooking I don't like. I will always eat if someone plonks the food in front of me. ☺ Need I point out again Ditz did the cooking. She actually likes to cook. Later on she used the leftover egg whites to make meringues. No wonder I'm waxing fat. I should never have taught that child to cook. Don't think I've seen north & south but something worth swooning over would be worth a look. lol

Persuaded: I will never watch that movie the same way again! Never. I now must rewatch it so I can look at it & think, "my friend lives there!" It is so pretty; one of the things I always loved about the movie; that & the fact it's sort of based on reality ~ very loosely! For me it is a movie that has stood the test of time well, like Sound of Music. Must try that on the big screen.

Ganeida said...

Oops. Sorry Diane, half my comments to you ended up with my comments to Jeanne. I think I need coffee. It's still early.

MamaOlive said...

How many eggs in the cake batter, please?

I am very dull today with sinuses; glad you are feeling well enough to enjoy your cake.

Ganeida said...

Obviously not well enough.☺ Will rectify the omission.