GANEIDA'S KNOT.

Go mbeannai Dia duit.

About Me

My photo
Quaker by conviction, mother by default, Celticst through love, Christ follower because I once was lost but now am found...

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A little kitty obsessed.

Most beds sleep up to six cats. Ten without the owner. Stephen Baker.

We are a little kitten obsessed just now. This is partly because the kittens are obsessed with us. Where are we? What are we doing? Why are we doing it? And why aren't we smooching with them? Nor are they backward in asking for smooches.
The acid test came yesterday. Being males the boys understand the dominant male in the household [Dearest] must be pacified at all costs. Being males they also understand if they smooch a female all will be forgiven ~ no matter what wickedness they have indulged in. But yesterday; yesterday Liddy headed off for the first bit of her pre~field training. As she got on a boat to return home Ditz & I got off a boat. There on the mainland jetty we exchanged car keys. I handed over the island keys; Liddy passed over the mainland keys. Liddy headed home; Ditz & I headed to rehearsal.

Meanwhile Dearest was left home alone with two kittens. All the females, rightfully, had concluded that so long as one person was home the kittens would not be stressed. So long as one person was at home the kittens would be happy. So long as one person was at home all would be well.

We were right...but boy was Dearest glad to see Liddy. When I walked in the door he all but dumped kittens in my arms & fled howling into the wilderness.

"How do you do it?" He wailed.

I had visions of kitten wickedness destroying rare & valuable stamps. Not so. Rather when Ditz & I walked out the door the kittens lost the plot & promptly went from being dominant alpha males strutting round like little Napoleons to The World's Biggest Sooks. Dearest spent a stressful hour with both kittens frantically climbing all over him & desperately cuddling up under his chin where they could constantly rub along his scratchy old beard ~ which was all very flattering but left Dearest unable to swallow even a mouthful of coffee, let alone get any work done.

I have made up some *kitty gloop* [interesting stuff, kitty gloop] & we have been giving the boys several small meals a day as well as their bickies & gloop as the long car trip & the heat upset their little tummies. It is also an easy & fail proof way of training them to come when called. Indeed when I tapped the spoon against their dishes last night to let them know we were heading for bed they raced me up the stairs & beat me through the door.

Dearest, who has learnt something about cats over the years he's known me, has made a supreme effort with these kittens & has been more than amply rewarded. They adore him & he is suitably flattered. Just the same I find myself followed round constantly by one or both kittens & if I disappear for any reason there is an anxious cry until I notify my whereabouts.

Kirby spins me out a little. He not only looks a little like Iss, he has a number of Issi traits: he spreads his pads so I can tickle his toes [& he has the hugest feet!!]; he pushes his face into my hand so my hand rubs right along all his scent glands in his cheeks; he flops a big hairy paw over me in a possessive manner when lying alongside me; he lies on his back with all his underbelly exposed expecting a tummy rub. It is incredibly unusual in my experience for a cat to tolerate a hand coming down from above in that manner. Marlo shrinks if I go to do it to him but Kirby pushes up into my hand just like Issi used to do.

We now have the boys waiting patiently in the mornings till I get up. Luckily I'm an early riser. They do the *perimeter walk* when we come downstairs & have favourite spots around the house. Naturally the first pic for both cats is along the back of the lounge that is between Dearest's desk & the t.v set. He just sighed & said at least they leave him a gap to gaze through between their 2 sets of whiskers!

11 comments:

Diane Shiffer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Diane Shiffer said...

That's so funny that Kirby is somehow Iss-esque. My oldest daughter had a dog named YIKES! that she adored- she got him as a pup and the two of them were inseparable for years and years. There were times when I think she thought he was her only friend. Well, in very old age he had to be put down and she was inconsolable... for a long time. Finally after about a year she felt ready to get a new dog and after a lot of exploring and research she decided on Wren. The first time we saw her, both of us immediately were struck by how much she looked like YIKES!. Now YIKES! was a Jack Russel and Wren is a Pappillion... the two breeds are about as different as possible. But it's uncanny there is something about the two dogs that is identical. It's almost as if YIKES!' spirit chose a kindred doggy spirit to come down and take care of his beloved girl.

If I believed all that stuff (which of course I don't, nope not a'tall) I'd almost think that Iss chose another kitten to be your new boy... and clued him in on some of his best tricks just so you wouldn't grieve too terribly badly♥

seekingmyLord said...

There are times I would like to flee howling into the wilderness....but they (the ones, from whom I would escape) would just follow me thinking it was a game, so I retreat to my bedroom and close the door, hoping they will not break it in.

Sandra said...

You know, when Atlas died we gave Howard his collar. Howard had been a very naughty Basset who had to be tied or on a lead and DID NOT listen. We say he became a big boy when he got the big boy collar because the change was immediate. Maybe Kirby and Iss.......had a conversation. I know, but Im only saying.

Molytail said...

They're so beautiful!

Marlo has a bit of a Moly-ish look to him ~ and I swear it's not just my imagination because Cindy said so too :-P

Ganeida said...

Diane:It is decidedly odd. I even find myself going to say, " Issi", when really poor old Kirby is nothing like.

Seeking: I don't think my animals understand the meaning of the word, "No", & they definitely have no tolerance for *personal space*. ☺

Lol, Sandra. I wouldn't put it past cats who are a law unto themselves. Kirby has a squeak that definitely means, "Can't find you; give us your position." Me, yeah, I comply!

Moly: You would adore them. They are completely gorgeous! And they have that oh so softer than silk fur.

Siano said...

What's in the 'kitty gloop'?

I've always used cooked chicken breast (meat only - no skin, no fat) for both uposet feline stomachs and fussy eaters. Works a treat in 99% of cases.

Ganeida said...

Siano: I'll e~mail you the recipe for the gloop.

Yep. We used finally shredded cooked chicken ~ no skin, no fat~ inbetween 1/2 a small tin of tuna stuff each. We've been feeding every few hours to stop them wolfing. They're not fussy but perhaps a little *institionalised*. So long as they are never ravenous they eat reasonably & aren't sicking up again.

Siano said...

No wonder they love you so much - what great grub they're getting!! They may revolt when you try to wean them off it :-)

If there is any diarrhoea, you may want to think about cutting out the tuna. Fish can have that sort of effect on kitten stomachs.

Ganeida said...

No diarrhoea since we cut out the soft packet stuff that came with them.

re your question: They are actually 5 months old, nearly 6, but quite small for their age. A good age to adopt ~ their personalities are obvious; no nasty surprises. They were nearly at the upper end of adoptability so their carers were so wrapt we wanted older kittens & both of them. I've made a convert out of Liddy. She & Ditz so wanted tiny kittens but these are so much more fun! ☺

Britwife said...

I've just got to smile. :)