GANEIDA'S KNOT.

Go mbeannai Dia duit.

About Me

My photo
Quaker by conviction, mother by default, Celticst through love, Christ follower because I once was lost but now am found...

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Shopping with Ditz.

When women are depressed, they eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking.-- Elayne Boosler
Ditz & I are abnormal. We do not like to shop ~ with exceptions. Ditz would happily invade & takeover a large music shop while I'll settle for anything that has a book in it. We couldn't do an Imelda to save our lives. At this point in my life I don't even own a pair of shoes & shoes shopping is my numero uno hate. I have odd feet. Nothing ever fits properly & I can look for weeks with no success. Ask my mother. She used to dread the *back to school shoe shop*. We'd both be in tears. My mother would be getting desperate & I'd be getting angrier, condemned to another year of shoes that slopped around my heels & pinched across the toes. I hate shoes.

Ditz is getting that way about clothing. Maybe it's the fashion just now. Maybe it's Ditz. I am at my wit's end. I gave Ditz plenty of warning. I told her it must be done, we had to shop for clothing. Ditz wiggled & squirmed. She begged & pleaded, she argued & when that failed she procrastinated but we were on a boat this morning headed for a section of town that houses more than one smallish clothing shop.

My feet are killing me. My knees are aching. My hips need replacing & Ditz still doesn't have clothing. Ditz wasn't being unusually difficult but everything was too uncomfortable or too ugly or too immodest & we came home with exactly 2 camisoles, 2 bras & 1 T~shirt for 6 hours frustration. Poor Ditz was in & out of clothing in a vain attempt to find something. The child may be only 13 but she has a grown woman's body; too well developed for the children's section, or even the teen section & no 13 year old wants to dress like somebody's grandmother! I really wanted to get her some good long shorts but we tried & tried with no luck. Anything wide enough across the beam swam round her waist. Ditz has a Marilyn Munroe figure & Marilyn Munroe figures aren't fashionable anymore. They don't make clothes like that.

I have offered to make Ditz shorts. I can sew & shorts is one of the things I actually make well; I got plenty of practise with the boys but Ditz has no faith in me. She doesn't want to look that homemade. I couldn't even buy a good plain T~shirt! Questionable slogans were the least of it. What's with cutting the sleeves so you can't move your arms freely? Try playing a flute or violin in one of those monstrosities. It can't be done. Or those smock like contraptions that make everyone look pregnant? Or how about bunching up the sides so you just look fat? That falls where Ditz is widest & does not make her a happy shopper. Plunging Necklines? Eeew! From both Ditz & I.

We settled for a camouflage T with Felix on it ~ which is a tad better than the Morticia look Ditz is fond of. She's trying not to draw attention to herself at present but then went & bought fluorescent underwear. She reminds me of some of the early Quakers, all sober on the outside but wearing a concealed thread of bright colour somewhere on their person!

I guess we're back to checking the shops every time we're in town but I was really hoping to update Ditz's wardrobe before choir resumed. Talk about prolonging the agony! This could drag on for months yet. Maybe we should just consecrate her to a nunnery & dress her in sack cloth?

9 comments:

Constance said...

I agree with the clothing "choices" out there for young ladies! Why does society think that young girls, (even my small grand-daughters) should dress like cheap prostitutes? It's enough to make you nuts! Do you have any on-line choices available? I realize that you can't try things on but you might actually get lucky and find something!

I had to laugh over your doggy post. We've not had a dog in our house our whole married lives. Hub doesn't want the hair and I am of the belief that pets are a part of the family and shouldn't be banished entirely outdoors, never to be interacted with. No happy medium so the result was No Dog! That was okay with me, I had enough to keep track of without adding one more thing!

We took a sled dog ride while on vacation and I was amazed by the dogs! They were so excited to be doing their "job" that even when our guide stopped for a break for them, in less than 2 minutes they were yowling and howling and looking at us because they were ready to go! That was the highlight of the trip for me!

Have a lovely day!
Connie

Molytail said...

Oh I know what the thing with the shorts is like - what you said about it fitting in one place and swimming in the other, that's how lots of shorts and jeans and such fit on me and it's so annoying.

Cindy loves to go shopping, so long as it's for stuff *she* wants - problem is, she wants to be "fashionable" half the time and "fashionable" often doesn't meet our standards. Those slogans you mentioned - and the skin tight jeans, super short skirts, etc....ugh ugh ugh. Are "skinny jeans" in over there? Ugh.

I wish I could sew - I can sort of, enough to make rainbow curtains with help, but not really enough to make skirts or such...

Ashley Dumas said...

I have been lucky enough to buy everything online for Sienna. She is going to age out of the store that usually keeps us supplied in clothes : (
and that will be a difficult moment. This store's particular cut of clothes is perfect for Sienna's body type and I just have to choose 5-6 outfits and Wallah! I am sure that the new teen section is going to a frustrating place to be when it comes to picking out clothes. So far we still do matching dresses!!! I am still in the lucky happy childhood days but I know they are drawing to a close. : ) I hope we can come up with some good alternatives to my favorite online store : )

At least you both disapprove of the plunging necklines : )

Ash

Sandra said...

If she has a Marilyn Monroe figure, at some point she may not disparage those plunging necklines! But at 13 I think it a very good idea that she does. : )

Ganeida said...

Apart from anything else Ditz does not have the legs for the uber short shorts & skirts! Liddy could get away with it but has far more sense than that. Ditz Likes loose & baggy & comfortable {like her mother]but getting anything! Oh my! She would look lovely in a longer style dress or skirt but we're not dresses girls. Dresses make me feel 1/2 naked & really exposed & I hate that so I don't wear them & my girls have followed my lead. I don't fuss over much as I have no fashion sense myself so so long as they keep all the necessary bits covered I'm o.k with that. I'm just not o.k with the suppossed choices out there. What choices? We don't all want our girls looking like pedophile bait.

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Have you thought of hemming pants with some blanket edging? There are some cool patterns. Or cloth. Homeschool project LOL.

Anonymous said...

I, too have a girl who is nearly 12, and I'm really not looking forward to the day when she ceases to become a little girl.

It is so hard to buy modest clothing for myself, but a teenager will be ten times harder.

We frequent the op-shops,as they usually have items of clothing that are more modest than the everyday shops. Consequently, I have a good wardrobe of clothes built up over the years, without the exorbitant cost. I try to buy items of clothing for my daughter in advance, so that when she reaches that size, she still has something to wear.

Ganeida said...

Op shops are my friend. Unfortunately the choir thing is full of girls from super rich families & there is a big emphasis on *presentation* & Ditz needs to at least be neat & tidy ~ which is hard if you're wearing your brother's cast~offs & have outgrown all your own things.

Britwife said...

Oh the dilema of dressing our daughters! My oldest daughter is only 9 - but we have the hardest time finding pants/jeans/shorts that don't ride down her rear and show a crack! Why are pants cut soooo low? She is out of little girls clothes, but the juniors clothes don't fit her yet. It's impossible to find anything.
On top of that - I HATE SHOPPING with a passion.