GANEIDA'S KNOT.

Go mbeannai Dia duit.

About Me

My photo
Quaker by conviction, mother by default, Celticst through love, Christ follower because I once was lost but now am found...

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Penny for your thoughts.

"Nothing goes so well with a hot fire and buttered crumpets as a wet day without and a good dose of comfortable horrors within." — Dorothy L. Sayers
My brother, Mark, once confessed he never knew how to fly a plane unless he was physically sitting in the plane with the controls in front of him. Given how much flying he did that is something of a scary thought. He couldn't visualise people's faces either. Liddy is rather the same. She has had to explain to me, as I complained about her driving, that in fact she *becomes the car* when she drives. This seems to be the pattern with kinesthetic learners.

I, on the other hand, am extremely visual. I have no trouble seeing something that isn't there but it is impossible for me to use my body as an extension of what I'm thinking. My body is the contraption I keep my brains in. I lug it round because that's the way things work in this world but I would ditch it if I could.

So spacing out round my mother's dinner table I missed the beginning of the conversation wherein the Duchess was explaining she had one thought every half hour or so & it was never a very interesting thought. I don't think that can be true, but hey, I don't make a habit of paddling round in other people's head spaces. I did comment she must have a very boring inner life. I have a whole population living inside my head. Indeed I had terrible trouble on being unexpectedly pulled away from the book I was writing one day & traipsing to the mainland. Everywhere I looked Celts in their brechan & plaids were materializing through the modern people in the shopping centre. It was rather disconcerting given the size of the claidheamh mors they were carrying.

While my girls were still busily laughing but not prepared to share what terrible thoughts go on inside their grey matter the Duke offered that he only had two people inside his head but as they were always arguing he never listened to them. Oh~kaaay.

My mother was beside herself at this point wondering, I'm sure, what monsters she had spawned. So how about you? What strange things go on in your head where no~one can see?

Thank you to my family for being good sports about this one. :)

6 comments:

Sandra said...

I think all of the time, but not about Celts and their claidheamh mors! I think I am more of a 'meat and potatoes' thinker. I think about the state of things and how they arrived to be as they are. I think about what motivates people, what can get them to do that which will eventually harm them. I wonder about a lot of things. Celts are beginning to seem easier. : )

Alicia said...

thanks for sharing your thoughts by commenting on my post. I came by to "meet" ya. Always curious about where commenters come from.
my husband will think it's cool to have met a auzzie blogger. he spent a semester there through ACE christan schools. :)

Mrs. Darling said...

Lady you are hilarious! I know one thing, what goes on in my brain has nothig to do with Celts! LOL Im always thinking of ways to organize my time and space more efficiently and worrying over the kids; have I spent enough time with them, will peter ever have to go to war, will Tink make it on her own, will we all have to go underground, what will I take with me if I ever end up in a concentration camp and am allowed one thing. Ugh, the coices! They're killing me! Maybe Im schitzo!

Anonymous said...

I would be nervous if people knew what was going on in my head I think it is best left there! ;o)
xc

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Well, speaking of thoughts, through the whole post I was jealous that you were able to hang out with your mom and that your children enjoy talking with you. Then it was hard to think other thoughts through the rest of the post and concentrate on what you were saying!

Ganeida said...

lol, people. I have such an ongoing internal dialogue getting everyone to shut up is my biggest problem! :) I guess it explains why I'm such a lousy housekeeper though. My internal dialogue never includes the best way to sautee chicken or organize my drawers! I can, on the other hand, tell you that a Welsh bard once composed a poem composed entirely of vowels & explain Eliot's Wasteland in more detail than you'll ever want to know. :D Sad, isn't it.