GANEIDA'S KNOT.

Go mbeannai Dia duit.

About Me

My photo
Quaker by conviction, mother by default, Celticst through love, Christ follower because I once was lost but now am found...

Friday, March 26, 2010

A Little School.


"Schooling confuses teaching with learning, grade advancement with education, a diploma with competence, and fluency with the ability to say something new. ~ Wendy Priesnitz"

In all the years we've homeschooled I think this is the worst start we've ever had to a year. Ditz & I have been sick on & off all term. We are unmotivated ~ & hormonal. We've had things happen that have knocked us for 6 emotionally & recovery has been slow. My curriculum supplier has decided to suddenly be extremely unhelpful & Ditz only really likes her bed. It has just been a shocker of a year. If I was a quitter I'd've quit already.

Just as it looked like we might slowly grind into some sort of routine our supervisor rang. Short term. She was coming for her term visit. Term visits mean our supervisor expects to see the results of a term's work!!! Oh my! We were ~ & still are ~ reading. This means almost no written work. Ditz has issues. I don't mind because frankly I don't see the point of making a child whom we all know writes exceptionally well, write out pointless little comprehension exercises. Ditz would rather chat if she must engage at all so that is what we do. We read & chat & at some point I lean really, really hard on Ditz & we produce the three items of work required in each subject each term. Something our umbrella school finds acceptable. Something that drives both Ditz & I crazy. We are erratic. In Home Ec we read & cook. Oops! I photocopied the tests for Ditz to take.

Now personally I find our supervisor absolutely wonderful & as she polished off the vegetarian lunch Ditz put together she did remark we had very different sorts of learners. *sigh* Don't we know it. And she did ask rather pointedly what we were going to send her as our term's work. This is what dictation & grammar exercises are for. And tests. And the arty~time~line. Mini~ reports. A little concerted effort & we can produce the required 3 items BUT ~ this is not learning. This is meeting government requirements. Our supervisor knows it too. She also knows Ditz. She has met the immovable math mountain often enough to know I have a real problem in that area. She knows as well as I do that math tutors or math immersion days at the school would be a waste of our time & throwing good money down the gurgler because it is not for want of ability but lack of desire on Ditz's behalf. Ditz has been begging to ditch math for 2 years & our supervisor is a math teacher. The irony is pretty.

So Ditz & I spent a harried few days writing a book report; a science experiment, doing tests & otherwise meeting our enrolment conditions so the school can tell the government my child is actually learning something. I hoped it was enough. Then came the phone call...

I don't have a new learner & I'm not a beginner homeschooler. I'm pretty secure about how we go about things & I know how my Ditz learns best ~ however difficult & awkward that might be. The math is impossible simply because no~one writes the sort of curriculum that works for a Ditz. Honestly. If I had any idea about math myself I'd write it! So I girded my loins thinking I was going to have to battle the school on my Ditz's behalf & when you've had a child in PS who manages to score a big fat zero on his comprehension test in grade 11 you're pretty much over the whole *school knows best* thing. [True; my biggest dyslexic. I was still reading half his work to him & helping him pull together his essays]

Our supervisor really is the most wonderful, thoughtful & inspired teacher. She rang to say she could provide a math text that was on money management. Thank heaven. The text we're presently using has all these things we don't even know what they are though in between it works. Ditz happily promptly ditched her math book. Money we can manage. We're good with money. Money management matters. Even Ditz gets this one. She didn't even quibble.
Then there is science. We were using Apologia General Science. I chose it because it is *proper science* as compared to *sort of science* in far too many Christian texts. It began with an overview of the history of science & proper scientific procedure & it was very readable. Unfortunately it is also heavy on the technical language & it lost Ditz pretty early on. We struggled on with it because it really is an excellent curriculum & it gave a good grounding in all the science branches. We finished it last term & now I have a problem. I'm not blowing things up with Ditz. Perish the thought! So no chemistry. Ditz can't do the math for physics even if she was interested; she's not. Neither of us is going to cut things up for biology. It's just not going to happen. No, we're not the scientific sort but we do like science. We like Natural Science & botany. We really enjoy the history part of science & nature study, environmental study ~ that sort of thing but, you guessed it, there's no ready curriculum for any of it & Ditz being grade 10 rather than 10 years old, I have been hunting frantically on the net. This is when having a really different learner really sucks!

My lovely, thoughtful supervisor has actually grasped how Ditz learns best & has suggested a DVD series. Ditz will we rapt! She thinks watching DVDs isn't really school. Long may she think that! I will have to invent an assessment procedure but believe you me this is far easier & less stressful than wading through a curriculum Ditz absolutely hates.

At this point I am finishing up our Sonlight but what I want Ditz reading means I'm actually tweaking quite a lot now because I have To Kill A Mocking Bird & How Green Was my Valley lined up for the child. Our supervisor is more than happy with these choices. She also knows we're really strong in these areas ~well, we've got to be good at something! ~ & hasn't batted an eyelid that I don't actually have any curriculum lined up yet ~ & may not have.

I also have, lost somewhere in the bowels of the computer, something about careers & career choices & work experience. Ditz, who really can be a Ditz, thought if she just said she was going to be a checkout chick the whole thing would go away. It won't & it hasn't. I don't think our supervisor bought that idea for one minute but we had a chat about our Ditz. The musical, arty, creative Ditz who has a CV in the industry & knows people, you know, & when asked tells everyone she's a professional. Yeah. That Ditz. End result ~ some really good ideas to get Ditz through years 11 & 12 with some sort of qualification besides the ability to hit both the top & bottom F! Child care & computer graphics are both good choices for the girl & I will be so much happier being able to move Ditz away from straight academics into areas for which she herself can see a use & a purpose.

I'm not always absolutely thrilled being with an umbrella school but God really has blessed us with our supervisor. She has never been anything but kind & helpful, even when Ditz has taken a snoot & been her most charmingly difficulty self. Her understanding & help as we transition through these final school years is invaluable because by hook or by crook our Ditz will be educated!

13 comments:

Sandra said...

My hat is off to you. This is too much for me to even think about, much less do!

Ganeida said...

I am pleased to see we are still on speaking terms. ☺ It's too much for me too but every time Ditz has me tearing my hair out yet again I think just how much worse it would all be if she was actually in school! It is enough to have me gird my loins to deal with her. Some day she is going to be the most wonderful woman & an absolute joy to the world...just as soon as her hormones settle down! lol.

Sandra said...

I'm not so thinned skinned as that! I think people like Ditz are needed in the world, but that said, I'm glad you are the one who has her to raise!

Unknown said...

WOW! I think the Lord gave you Ditz because he knew you would know just what to do with her. I personally don't think I'd be able to handle a Ditz but then again I suppose each child has it's own challenges and they all give us rewards in the end when we sit back and see them all grown up huh?

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

You couldn't just print up a few 3 + 2 = type worksheets and say you did math??? I'd be tempted...

Anonymous said...

Ganeida, my son is currently undertaking studies for years 11 and 12, and has no idea of what he wants to do with his life.

He hated science, so we have moved to the Bible and Science, and that is great - he is reading some top quality material about evolution versus Creation, and he can see the sense in this curriculum. :)

His maths is algebra and geometry this year - I thought that algebra was bad, but geometry has NO logics behind it!

Have a wonderful weekend, my friend,
Blessings,
Jillian ♥

loving, laughing and learning said...

yes i'm beginning to see the light when it comes to our supervisor, we communicate much better via email lol. Glad to see you finally have a much needed way forward and some resources to help you too, our supervisor has been extremely busy by the looks of things. As ditz and my little 1 are alike im taking notes for future reference ;)

Ganeida said...

Birbitt: Sad to say I homeschooled all ours on & off [long story] & the one I found hardest was my kinesthetic sequential learner. Just how differently we learn was driven home when I taught the child to drive & she declared she *became the car*. Okaaay...

MrsC: I shared your comment round here & had the whole house roaring with laughter. My Dearest thought it was a seriously good idea. ☺

Jillian: Dare I confess I liked geometry & it was the only branch of higher math I passed? I am lucky in that Ditz knows what she wants to do but getting her to do the work to get there is another matter entirely. Next time round I'm taking the option of sleeping out the teenage years! ☺

Mrs Bean: Glad you are communicating better. The first year is just tough. I was lucky in that I did a preschool year on my own & made my mistakes without the watchful judgemental eye of an educational institution watching over us & was thus much more prepared to fight for what I knew worked for us. Ditz was already reading too & that made a huge difference to our whole focus. We just got other challenges...☺

Jan Lyn said...

Sorry to hear that you have had a rough start of things. I am one of those people who miss the younger years. Highschool years are tough and I'm just preparing for #2 child's grade 9 now. Teaching Textbooks is the only math that has worked for her. We start Apologia next year again here, and reading Ditz's reaction, I cringe as I am right there with her. It's tough. Wondering what your dvd option is. I'd be curious to know. Glad you have a flexible supervisor. I don't have one in my state, but still keep all sorts of over the edge records that are unnecesary--just incase. I am getting my paperwork done currently and dealing with a lot of other issues and health, therefor have not been blogging or online as much. So good to check in at your place!
Blessings,
Jan Lyn

seekingmyLord said...

I am very, very thankful not to have these same requirements that you do, but thankfully it seems you have a good supervisor. It is difficult to imagine that Ditz will be in her last two years!!!

Ganeida said...

Jan Lyn: The old adage about leading a horse to water applies with Ditz. As I was just like her when it comes to math I prefer to quit while I'm ahead. There really is no point banging my head against a brick wall ~ especially as I manage every day math very well & Ditz is even better with that.

The science is DIVE ~ I have to check it out yet & they may not actually have a science program. Apparently they do math but our supervisor thought they might do science as well & to look, so that's what I will be doing over Easter.

Seeking: What *will* I do with myself?!

Diane Shiffer said...

I actually wish we had a supervisor here to give us input and a little bit of guidance. Here we are completely on our own... well, we have to submit our plan for the district's approval which can be rather irksome, especially since they despise us homeschoolers and take our very existence as a personal and professional insult.lol. I suspect that they would find great joy in being able to find our plan wanting and roast us over the coals in the process. Having school personnel who actually cares about my child and is willing to expend a bit of effort in our behalf would be bliss... sheer bliss.

Siano said...

Re assessment programme for the science DVDs: how about a taped 15-min (30 min? I have no idea what current curricula call for) presentation by Ditz on aspect/s from the DVDs that capture her attention and that she can research further on the net? If you can round up a video camera then she can practice her presentation skills and use visuals as well. If you can round up a few audience members as well then Ditz could perhaps incorporate some audience involvement. Depending on the content of the DVDs, audience participation could even count in the experiment area.

Don't know if this is way off base or too impractical, but it strikes me as something that might suit the Ditzian style of learning and delivery.